Immigration Services

Our office works closely with the Office of International Services (OIS) and the Office of International Affairs (OIA) to serve the University’s international students, scholars, and professionals. Specifically, per applicable University policy, upon approval from the employing unit, our office will receive referrals from OIS to provide assistance with certain immigration petitions for qualified full-time employees who currently hold a temporary visa.

Our office will work closely with your unit to facilitate the permanent residency petition (PERM) process. The following are a few important things to know:

  • If your position is defined as temporary by the University, you are not eligible for an employment-based petition for permanent residency.
  • Your request to pursue employment-based permanent residency must be approved by both your department chair or director and the head of the relevant responsibility center on campus.
  • You must have been in your current position or in a University position closely related to the current position for a full year before the initial request is submitted. There are certain academic appointees that are exempt from this rule but you must have been formally hired by the University. Additionally, there may also be an exception made if you are nearing the end of your eligible nonimmigrant visa status.

If you have any questions regarding our immigration services, please contact Frank Martinez.

Fees for Immigration Services

Individual departments may not work independently with an outside attorney in cases involving a University-sponsored petition. These petitions will only be processed by our office or OIS.

In order to accurately allocate our operating costs to units that use our services, our office has implemented a limited chargeback system. One such service is our immigration services. See our current rates.